Season 3 of Good Trouble was announced on January 17, 2020. The season premiered on February 17, 2021, and aired for ten consecutive weeks until its Spring finale on April 21, 2021. The remaining nine episodes of the season will start airing on July 14th, 2021.
Good Trouble follows the residents of Downtown Los Angeles’ The Coterie as they juggle career, love, and friendship and learn that standing up for what you believe in requires making a little noise and getting into trouble. Season three picks up as Callie moves back into the Coterie, Mariana feels torn between Raj and Evan, Malika prepares for her hearing after breaking Judge Wilson’s restraining order, Davia and Dennis explore the future of their relationship, Gael looks to get back to his true passion, Alice takes her comedy to the next level, and Jamie wonders if he can ever forgive Callie for betraying him.
- Maia Mitchell as Callie Adams Foster (10/10)
- Cierra Ramirez as Mariana Adams Foster (10/10)
- Tommy Martinez as Gael Martinez
- Emma Hunton as Davia Moss
- Sherry Cola as Alice Kwan
- Zuri Adele as Malika Williams
- Beau Mirchoff as Jamie Hunter
- Josh Pence as Dennis Cooper
- T.J. Linnard as Evan Speck
- Dhruv Uday Singh as Raj Patil
- Priscilla Quintana as Isabella
- Shannon Chan-Kent as Ruby
- Constance Zimmer as Kathleen Gale
- Marcus Emanuel Mitchell as Dyonte
- Jayson Blair as Tony Britton
- Rhea Butcher as Lindsay Brady
- Giovanni Goree as Jeptha
- Catherine Haena Kim as Nicolette Baptiste
- Craig Parker as Yuri Elwin
- Erik Stocklin as Matt
- Susan Walters as Diane Hunter (1/10)
- Robert Gant as Jim Hunter (1/10)
- Megan West as Eliza Foster (1/10)
- Gavin MacIntosh as Connor Stevens (1/10)
- Spencer List as Carter Hunter (1/10)
- Dallas Dupree Young as Corey (1/10)
- Victoria Platt as TBA
Special Guest Stars
- Teri Polo as Stef Adams Foster (1/10)
- Sherri Saum as Lena Adams Foster (1/10)
- Hayden Byerly as Jude Adams Foster (1/10)
- David Lambert as Brandon Foster (1/10)
|1||Capoeira||February 17, 2021|
|With Jerod’s case on the line, Callie takes a job with a high profile defense lawyer. After sleeping with Evan, Mariana has to make a decision regarding her relationship with Raj. Meanwhile, Malika’s future is on the line with her impending trial.|
|2||Arraignment Day||February 24, 2021|
|Callie receives some big news. Meanwhile, Mariana’s app becomes popular with the wrong crowd. The Coterie members join BLM in taking a stand to free Malika.|
|3||Whoosh, Pow, Bang||March 3, 2021|
|Callie discovers there’s more to Jerod’s case than she had anticipated. Mariana and the girls come up with their own app. Meanwhile, Davia finds a way to help her students, and Gael takes a job with a renowned artist.|
|4||Klompendansen||March 10, 2021|
|The Fosters and the Hunters get together for a Dutch themed goodbye party for Brandon and Eliza; Callie has an awkward encounter with Jamie; Mariana struggles to tell the moms the truth.|
|5||Because, Men||March 17, 2021|
|Callie questions Kathleen’s methods regarding Jerod’s case. Meanwhile, Mariana and the girls pitch their new app idea. Malika learns a surprising fact about Dyonte, and Davia deals with her feelings towards Dennis.|
|6||Help||March 24, 2021|
|Callie learns a secret about Kathleen. Mariana tries to hide her relationship with Evan. Meanwhile, Malika comes to a realization about her mother, and Alice thrives within the comedy program—but at what cost?|
|7||New Moon||March 31, 2021|
|A surprise intruder interrupts Malika’s New Moon ceremony, wreaking havoc and disrupting relationships amongst the Coterie members.|
|8||Trust||April 7, 2021|
|Callie and the team take on a murder case while Mariana and the fight club girls struggle with their pitch. Malika reveals her feelings towards Dyonte, and Davia comes to a realization about Matt. Gael struggles with his latest assignment, while Alice tries to take control of her relationship with Ruby.|
|9||Driver's Seat||April 14, 2021|
|Callie juggles the murder case and her feelings towards Gael. Mariana helps Alice take control of her life; meanwhile, Davia struggles with her feelings towards Dennis and Matt. Gael faces an ethical dilemma regarding his boss.|
|10||She's Back||April 21, 2021|
|Callie questions whether to help Kathleen; meanwhile, Mariana comes clean about her relationship with Evan. Malika makes a decision about her relationship with Isaac and Dyonte, and Davia gets a win at her school. Gael gets some unexpected news while Alice comes to a decision about the comedy program.|
|11||TBA||July 15th, 2021|
Notes and Trivia
- Filming and production for Season began on March 5, 2020.
- On March 5, 2020, it was announced that Beau Mirchoff had been upped to a series regular for Season 3. He was previously a recurring character in Seasons 1 and 2.
- On March 14, 2020, production was shut down indefinitely due to the ongoing COVID-19 corona-virus pandemic.
- Production resumed in September of 2020.
- The season was slated to premiere in Summer 2020, however, due to the COVID-19 virus, the season was postponed until 2021.
- Rhea Butcher as "Lindsay" returned for Season 3.
- Black Lives Matter will continue to be part of the storyline, and more specifically, the George Floyd movement.
- Season 3 will stay in the pre-COVID world for the first half of the season, though the second half might explore COVID more.
- Troian Bellisario returns to Good Trouble to direct an episode. She previously directed Swipe Right and Fragility.
- Constance Zimmer, who plays new character Kathleen Gale, directed an episode this season.
- This season will celebrate Mariana's birthday. This is the third time her birthday has been celebrated, following The Fosters episodes, Quinceañera and Sixteen.
- Several teaser trailers and clips were released exclusively on the Good Trouble Twitter account. This did not occur for Seasons 1 or 2.
- On February 14, 2021, Joanna Johnson did an interview with TVLine where she spoke about Season 3.
- Mariana’s work at Speckulate leads into a story, “how a lot of these sort of right-wing activist hate groups will overtake certain apps to communicate with each other. The question of, what is freedom of speech, and what is hate speech? And should that be protected?”
- Callie stands up for “the mistreatment of mentally ill patients who are incarcerated, but really shouldn’t be."
- "Callie’s dealing with the demise of her relationship, largely because of a moral choice she made that, definitely at least from Jamie’s point of view, felt like a personal betrayal." As well as questioning if she did the right thing but, "you can’t compromise your morals, even for someone you love."
- The love square between Raj, Mariana, Evan, and Isabella will be very prevalent in Season 3.
- "We’re still talking about how Black activism is seen in a criminal way, and Black protest is criminalized, as opposed to being a freedom of speech and the right to carry arms, as it is when you see people that are white activists on the right.”
- The Adams Foster family, including Stef, Lena, Brandon, and Jude, will make an appearance this season. They will appear in a Dutch themed episode in which the Hunter family is requiring everyone to wear Dutch-themed clothing. From the Hunter family, confirmed appearances include Eliza, Connor, Jim, and Diane. Brandon and Eliza having a "big surprise" was teased.
- Joanna Johnson teased the episode saying, "The episode is Brandon and Eliza’s going-away party ahead of their move to Amsterdam, executive producer Joanna Johnson previews. Eliza’s parents, Jim (Robert Gant) and Diane (Susan Walters), are hosting the themed shindig, which features a lot of fun surprises."
- The episode is directed by Bradley Bredeweg.
- A season three featurette video was posted by TV Insider, and can be viewed here.
- A new Coterie resident is introduced this season, and serves as a love interest for Davia.
- A case is be taken to court for the first time since Jamal Thompson's case in Season 1.
- Sherry Cola spoke on Alice's journey in Season 3 saying, "in terms of Alice’s personal journey, it’s very much about breaking stereotypes--the Asian stereotype. We are constantly put in a box and she is just discovering when the right time to stick up for yourself is."
- Zuri Adele spoke on the importance of Malika's journey in the series and Season 3, from her BLM activism to being allowed to wear her natural hair. She said, "it’s a complete game changer. Our hair is our crown and the number one top form of our expression despite the flawed pedagogy in education that we’ve been a part of. It’s such a statement to embrace our natural hair for ourselves and such a way to love on ourselves."
- A Season 3 featurette can be viewed on Twitter by clicking here.
- Jamie's disheveled look in Season 3 was due to Beau Mirchoff filming Narcos: New Mexico and being unable to shave for the part. According to Joanna Johnson, "Part of his disheveled look was because we were sharing him with Narcos: Mexico — we couldn’t have him shaving. But it worked for our character perfectly. I see Jamie as someone who really got burned by someone who he really loved and trusted 100 percent. Going forward, they’re going to find themselves, again, working professionally and personally at odds. They can’t seem to get out of each other’s orbit."
- When speaking on the possibility of the show being too political for Freeform Joanna Johnson said, "Freeform has been amazing, brave, bold, supportive in this storytelling. I’ve never been told I couldn’t do something. But we’re also a soap. At the end of the day, this show is about relationships and the struggle for identity in your twenties, and the family that you make out in the world. I think as long as you focus it that way, it doesn’t become a show about issues. It’s still a show about people."
- To promote the series, the main females actress participated in Celebrity Family Feud in which they competed against the cast of fellow Freeform series, Grownish..
- Despite being billed as a main cast member, Josh Pence only appears in five out of the aired ten episodes.
Behind the Scenes
- Freeform press release: Every Announcement From Freeform's TCA Presentation. January 17, 2020.