Season 2 of Good Trouble premiered on June 18th, 2019, on Freeform and concluded on March 4, 2020.
Season 2 was officially announced on February 5, 2019, and production began in late February.
Season 2 of Good Trouble explores the trials and tribulations of the tenants of Downtown LA’s hippest residence, The Coterie. This season, Mariana (Cierra Ramirez), Callie (Maia Mitchell) and the rest of The Coterie crew will continue to navigate their early 20s as they deal with breakups, demand equality, find happiness and discover what it means to fight for what you believe in. Good Trouble stars Zuri Adele, Sherry Cola, Tommy Martinez, and newcomers Emma Hunton and Josh Pence.
After a devastating winter finale, “Good Trouble” returns on WEDNESDAY, JAN. 15, at 10:00 p.m. EST. The Coterie residents are dealing with the consequences of their personal and professional decisions and realize that sometimes standing up for what you believe in comes at a price. The season picks up with Callie and Mariana’s relationship on the rocks after Callie has decided to move in with Jamie and leave the “Coterie Biatches” behind. Alice finds herself balancing her stand-up career with her love life, Davia learns the education system may be broken, Mariana navigates a new world at work, Malika faces legal consequences from her protesting, Dennis finds a new outlet to manage his depression and Gael’s creative spark is reignited.
- Maia Mitchell as Callie Adams Foster (18/18)
- Cierra Ramirez as Mariana Adams Foster (18/18)
- Zuri Adele as Malika Williams (16/18)
- Sherry Cola as Alice Kwan (16/18)
- Emma Hunton as Davia Moss (14/18)
- Tommy Martinez as Gael Martinez (14/18)
- Josh Pence as Dennis Cooper (12/18)
Special Guest Stars
- Roger Bart as Curtis Wilson (2/10)
- Teri Polo as Stef Adams Foster (2/10)
- Sherri Saum as Lena Adams Foster (2/10)
- Hayden Byerly as Jude Adams Foster (2/10)
- David Lambert as Brandon Foster (2/10)
- Ken Kirby as Benjamin (1/10)
- Noah Centineo as Jesus Adams Foster (1/10)
|1||Percussions||June 18, 2019|
|The outcome of the Jamal Thompson case is decided, and Callie is forced to decide what she’s willing to fight for. Mariana jumps into a new relationship but stumbles into a situation she wasn’t prepared to face. Alice attempts to win Joey back, while Davia attempts to help Dennis.|
|2||Torn||June 25, 2019|
|Mariana’s new relationship complicates her work environment. Callie is struggling to make decisions that will disrupt both her career and love life. Malika questions her involvement in activism. Davia juggles the men in her life.|
|3||Doble Quince||July 2, 2019|
|Gael and the rest of The Coterie help Jazmine plan a big celebration - a "Doble Quince" - to celebrate her 30th birthday and the Quinceanera she never had. Mariana decides to use the event to beta test her app, but things don't go as planned.|
|4||Unfiltered||July 9, 2019|
|Davia's mom comes to town, stirring up old issues. Callie and Malika make some mistakes attempting to help people. Meanwhile, Mariana tries to figure out what to do about the problems from their app beta test and gets confronted by the other women on the grievance committee.|
|5||Happy Heckling||July 16, 2019|
|Callie attends a networking mixer that causes her to confront some perceptions about herself. Mariana's close relationship with Evan sparks rumors at Speckulate offices. Meanwhile, Alice encounters one of her idols at a queer comedy club where she's attempting to get her standup career off the ground.|
|6||Twenty-Fine||July 23, 2019|
|Malika asks The Coterie crew to create performance pieces expressing themselves as their birthday presents to her, leading to a night of improv, music performances, and revelations.|
|7||In the Middle||July 30, 2019|
|Mariana's app gets an accelerated launch timeline that puts stress on her and her team, especially when Gael lands a potential new opportunity that conflicts with a big presentation. Callie finds herself in the middle of a power struggle at the Legal Aid offices.|
|8||Disruptions||August 6, 2019|
|Following multiple confrontations in her life, Callie decides to make a change. Gael learns something unexpected about Elijah from the group commissioning his new art project. Meanwhile, Mariana gets the real story about what happened with the female former engineer.|
|9||Nochebuena||December 16, 2019|
|The Fosters visit The Coterie for Christmas and Callie struggles to tell her moms about quitting her clerkship, while Mariana agrees to volunteer for a holiday festival for the underprivileged. Alice is hiding a secret from The Coterie, and Davia strolls down memory lane with Dennis, opening old wounds.|
|10||A Very Coterie Christmas||December 16, 2019|
|The Fosters and the Hunters help out with the impromptu volunteer Christmas event. Stef agrees to be a part of Mariana's plan to avoid a major catastrophe, all while Gael and Jazmine deal with a painful family decision. Jamie is eager to ask Callie a very important question.|
|11||Clapback||January 15, 2020|
|When Malika gets in legal trouble following the Black Lives Matter disruption, Callie goes to an old friend for help. Meanwhile Mariana deals with the fallout from the arrival of the “fixer” at Speckulate, Gael helps Davia with a clapback video, and Alice finds herself in the middle of an unlikely love triangle.|
|12||Gumboot Becky||January 22, 2020|
|Davia gains unwanted notoriety at her school when a creative attempt to reach her students goes awry. Callie helps Judge Wilson in the aftermath of his son’s death, Mariana crosses a line and meets with the infamous Amanda, Malika tries to make things right with Isaac, and Dennis finally seeks help for his depression.|
|13||Daylight||January 29, 2020|
|Callie and Jamie’s relationship is tested when they are on opposite sides of a case. Mariana’s job is threatened, and she has to decide how far she’ll go to keep it. Malika has a new opportunity that could be jeopardized by her legal issues. Davia faces the unintended consequences of her behavior. Alice balances her friendships with Lindsay and Sumi.|
|14||In Good Conscience||February 5, 2020|
|Callie makes a difficult decision after the Anwei International case goes forward. Mariana struggles with her feelings for Evan while Raj bonds with her new roommate Isabella. Alice's relationship with Joey is put in jeopardy.|
|15||Palentine's Day||February 12, 2020|
|A group Valentine's party at The coterie forces confrontations between Callie and Mariana, Gael and Jamie, and relationship drama between Malika and Isaac and Raj, who is trying to forget about his sexual fantasy staring Isabella.|
|16||Fragility||February 19, 2020|
|Davia works to find a way to make things right with Andre. Mariana is forced to confront her feelings for Evan. Meanwhile, Raj and Isabella secretly spend time together. Callie learns something about Jamie Hunter that might change everything.|
|17||Truths and Dares||February 26, 2020|
|Jamie tries to protect Callie—but is that what she wants? Mariana gets to the bottom of who wrote the anti-woman manifesto at work and is surprised by the answer. Malika has an unplanned family reunion. Alice has some success onstage and off. After a day of bonding, Dennis asks Gael for help.|
|18||Trap Heals||March 4, 2020|
|The Coterie attends Trap Heals while facing tough decisions. Malika feels the weight of her family’s and Isaac’s anxiety. Callie deals with a moral dilemma. A confession blindsides Mariana. Davia worries about rocking the boat, and Dennis confronts his feelings.|
- Callie will choose between Gael and Jamie in Season 2. However, this choice will not end the love triangle. The love triangle will continue to be a theme throughout the second season.
- Raj and Mariana's relationship will be explored, especially as they struggle to handle their co-workers' harassment.
- While unconfirmed, the casts of both Good Trouble and The Bold Type want a crossover event.
- Jamie's ring and the idea of Callie and Jamie being engaged will carry throughout 2B.
Notes and Trivia
- Season 2 of Good Trouble was announced by Freeform on February 5, 2019, before the fifth episode of Season 1 aired.
- The cast and crew found out about the early renewal during the 2019 Television Critics Association press tour.
- On March 27th, it was announced the premiere was set for June 18th, 2019.
- Emma Hunton and Josh Pence were promoted to series regulars for Season 2.
- More co-stars from "The Fosters" appeared in the season.
- Black Lives Matter activist and co-founder, Patrisse Cullers, joined the writers' room for Season 2.
- Season 2 tackled issues such as homelessness and "how certain schools are a pipeline to prison for people of color.
- Davia and Dennis's relationship was explored between the unlikely duo. Emma Hunton states that it adds an, "interesting dynamic" between them.
- Season 2 was divided into two parts, A and B. This is a first for Good Trouble, whose first season featured thirteen consecutive episodes.
- 2B tackled Joey and Alice's relationship struggles. Daisy Eagan (Joey) said, "past secrets will be revealed as they walk to the process of revealing their true selves" to both each other and themselves.
- Bradley Bredeweg confirmed that Season 2 has 18 total episodes, with a Summer and Winter season. He also hinted at a "special surprise" in between.
- He later confirmed that new episodes would begin airing in early 2020.
- Critically acclaimed actress Heather Tom directed the fifteenth episode of the season, titled, "Palentine's Day".
- Troian Bellisario directed the 2B episode, "Fragility". She previously directed the Season 1 episode, "Swipe Right".
- On October 11, 2019, production for 2B was forced to halt as the result of raging wildfires in California near the shooting locations. Production restarted October 15th at a new location away from the fires.
- Season 2 featured a two-hour back-to-back Christmas special, "Nochebuena" and "A Very Coterie Christmas". The episodes were part of FreeForm's 25 Days of Christmas schedule.
- Max Cutler, TJ Linnard, Dustin Ingram, and the rest of the "Speckulate staff" wrapped filming for the season on October 7, 2019. The remaining recurring cast and some crew members wrapped between October 8 and October 9, 2019.
- Filming officially ended for the season on October 14, 2019.
- On January 16, 2019, the Season 2 midseason premiere is available to stream on Hulu.
- According to Joanna Johnson, the storylines from the 2A finales including the Adams Foster family might carry throughout 2B. These include Carter and Jude's relationship and Stef moving to Venezuela.
- One of the Adams Foster family members returned in 2B.
- Speculation of a Season 3 renewal surfaced on December 19, 2019, after Production Weekly showed Season 3 as under "Active Development". However, at the time, FreeForm had yet to officially announce the news.
Behind the Scenes