|“||Well, you may be able to play that game that game, but... they want to know what it's like to work here, I'm gonna tell them. And if I get fired... then at least someone had the guts to speak up.||”|
Mariana is the biological daughter of Ana Gutierrez and Gabriel Duncroft, and the adoptive daughter of Stef and Lena Adams Foster. She is also the fraternal twin sister of Jesus, as well as the adoptive sister of Callie, Brandon, and Jude Adams Foster.
Mariana is a brilliant coder who discovered her skills in high school after joining the STEAM team. After graduating high school, Mariana attended and graduated from MIT, before being hired to work at the tech up-start Speckulate as a software engineer. Mariana has since witnessed first-hand the blatant sexism and racism in her workplace and is fighting for equality. Upon leaving Speckulate, she pursued her objective of creating an app alongside her a team of women.
- 1 Biography
- 2 Personality
- 3 Physical Appearance
- 4 The Fosters
- 5 Good Trouble
- 6 Relationships
- 7 Notes and Trivia
- 8 Gallery
- 9 Appearances
- 10 References
- 11 Navigational
Mariana was born May 17, 1998, and is the fraternal twin sister of Jesus. She is the biological daughter of Ana Gutierrez and Gabriel Duncroft, although Gabriel was originally unaware of the twins' birth. Ana and Gabe and a consensual relationship when she was 15 and he was 18, which resulted in Ana's parents having him arrested for having sex with a minor despite her objections. Infuriated with her parents, Ana left home and began drinking and doing drugs more heavily, which was around the time she discovered that she was pregnant.
After the twins were born, Ana was still a drug addict and for this reason, Mariana and Jesus grew up in a tumultuous and unstable environment. Mariana vividly remembers a Christmas when she and Jesus were five years old and left alone at home for what felt like days while Ana was away getting drugs. Mariana described the experience as "terrifying", but, Jesus soothed her despite being scared as well. Following this incident, it became apparent that Ana couldn't care for her children due to her addiction. The siblings were placed into the foster care system soon after.
While the time they were in the foster system is unknown, Mariana was likely only in the system a year or so. Mariana lamented to Callie how she remembered frequently moving around as a foster child, and the various girls she had to room with, and sometimes being put in some "messed up" homes.
One day, Mariana and Jesus' foster parents decided that they couldn't deal with the kids anymore and dropped them off at the police station for CPS to handle. At this time, Stef Foster was a police officer and noticed the children. She approached them and learned their names before giving them each a lollipop. Mariana was quiet and didn't speak to Stef, nor did she accept the candy until Jesus handed it to her. After this, Stef and her partner Lena Adams decided to foster the twins. They brought them into their home, where they became foster siblings with Stef's biological son, Brandon. The twins were later adopted by the couple when they were 11. Mariana once said that she didn't feel true love and safety until Stef and Lena took her and Jesus in.
Mariana is very smart and girly and cares about appearances, in the least hers, very much. She's shown to be popular and is always organizing social events. Frequently, Mariana has shown strong leadership among her peers and is very proactive during a variety of situations, even organizing a protest against Mr. Timothy's firing at Anchor Beach. Not unlike the rest of her siblings, Mariana is extremely loyal and protective over her family and friends.
While she is usually kind, she can be naive when it comes to certain topics. However, she usually learns from her mistakes. Mariana also loves to gossip and speaks Spanish fluently. Despite her confident exterior, underneath it all, she can be very insecure and sometimes caves into peer pressure to be accepted. This is shown multiple times throughout the series. For example, when seeing old friend Garret had a new edgier scene and friends, she pierced her nose herself at home to fit in. When making it onto the dance team, she had overheard fellow dance teammates claiming she only made it because she's Latina. This led her to dye her hair blonde so she could fit in while distancing herself from her Latin heritage. However, she has learned not to give in to how others make her feel and to be herself.
Mariana is a young, beautiful girl with a pale complexion, dark brown eyes. She has medium length deep brown hair which she wears in a variety of styles: curly, straight, or naturally waved. She has a slim, yet toned and athletic figure. Mariana's clothing sense is very girly; she often wears bright colors, such as pinks, yellows, and blues. She is often seen wearing a mixture of floral dresses and skirts with colorful cardigans and heels, and dark jeans and jackets over bright colored shirts.
While working at Speckulate, her fashion sense was forced to change due to the misogyny at the office. She began wearing jeans, simple t-shirts, and her hair pulled back in a ponytail.
Mariana Adams Foster moves to Los Angeles with her adoptive sister, Callie, to pursue their respective job endeavors. When they arrive, they realize the reality of LA differs from the version they created. A string of bad luck follows them as their moving truck is vandalized, their belongings stolen, their new communal living space less-than-perfect, and the guy Mariana moved to The Coterie to pursue takes a liking to Callie. Mariana's job at Speckulate also shows a cause for concern as she witnesses firsthand the sexism running rampid in the workplace.
In Capoeira, Mariana stands in the elevator as she remembers her hookup with Evan. The next morning, she wakes Alice up to ask her to sneak into her room and grab her some clothes. She doesn't want to see Isabella until she has a chance to talk with Raj. At Speckulate, Mariana is conflicted over Raj and Evan, remembering Alice telling her that Isabella’s confession might not be about Raj. Isabella had confessed to Alice that she slept with a past boyfriend but insists she wouldn’t do it again. Alice reminds Mariana to ask herself if Raj would cheat on her. Mariana receives two texts from Raj and Evan asking to talk. The moments after her fling with Evan were awkward as she didn't know what to say to Evan after they had sex. In the present, Mariana's meeting at work isn’t going well and she runs out of it early.
She hides in the bathroom to avoid Raj who texts her to say that he’s no longer confused about Isabella and loves her. She texts Raj back that she loves him and wants to be with him too. She goes to the team office where she sees a message from Isabella confronting Raj about telling Mariana they slept together. She hurries to the Coterie only to find that Isabella has moved out.
That afternoon, Mariana tells Callie that Isabella moved out, though Raj claims he didn’t sleep with her. She tells Callie about sleeping with Evan with Callie understanding her motives. Mariana asks her for advice. Callie suggests working it out unless she doesn’t want to, with Mariana admitting she’s conflicted over things. She asks about Jamie to which Callie admits emotionally that things might be over. Mariana comforts her sister who is emotional.
The next morning, Mariana meets Raj on the roof with him swearing he didn’t sleep with Isabella, which she knows. She thinks their feelings for other people are telling them they shouldn’t be together. She also tells Evan their relationship is complicated with him being her boss, though she thinks things could still work between them. They decide to be in a secret relationship.
That night, Callie arrives at the Coterie and Mariana gives her a letter that came for her, promising that she didn’t open it. Callie gives it back and asks her to open it. The letter tells Callie that she passed the bar and the Coterie residents come out of their hiding spots to celebrate. Callie reveals that Kathleen asked her to quit Legal Aid and work for her, which Callie has accepted. The group toasts with Gael and Callie exchanging a look that Mariana asks about, though Callie claims that nothing happened. Mariana toasts to Callie moving in, and Gael asks about Isabella and why she moved out, to which Mariana lies that Isabella just left and didn’t leave a note. The group decides to have a family dinner.
In Arraignment Day, Callie dresses in her new pantsuit while Mariana encourages her. Mariana hurries into the work elevator and Evan remarks that he is impressed by the work on her activism app and wants to celebrate with the team for the success. They make plans to meet trying to remain discreet in the presence of an employee who is in the elevator. She arrives at the office and her team tells her that something is wrong.
The team tells Mariana that a white supremacist group is spamming Act=ivism and using their app to spread hate. They are also pushing down Malika’s crowdfunding campaign. They decide to delete as much as they can and block the users before Evan finds out, as he might close down the app.
Mariana heads to the sit-in to support Malika, but is kept up-to-date on the white supremacy situation by her team. As soon as she hangs up she is confronted by a group of supremacists who call her racial slurs and intimidate her. Gael appears and records the protestors which continue as they chant for DA Hanson’s re-election and continue to scream “All Lives Matter” to Gael and Mariana. Gael helps Marian retreat into the courtroom. She calls her team who tells her that the activists are using the app to continuously protest and enlist others to help. When they shut down one user five more pop up. The team thinks they should tell Evan, though Mariana disagrees and instructs them to switch to shadow banning which they can fix later. Mariana assures the women in charge that they’re trying to shut-down the users but they’re using the chat feature to intimidate people who might show up. She warns Mariana that even if they shut-down the activists it might be too late to save the app. Patrisse emerges to tell everyone that they have raised the bail money but aren’t going to leave until DA Hanson comes out and they convince her to drop all the charges. Together, they chant “shut it down”.
Mariana enters Evan’s office to see a bucket of roses he was planning to bring her. He asks if that was okay which she says it’s very okay. He asks about the comedy show but she tells him the truth about the app needing to be shut down. He explains they can’t shut down the app as while they created the product they aren’t responsible for what people say. They aren’t political so it isn’t their job to censor anyone. She is worried about bad publicity, but he explains that they are about to release a new media app and can’t shut down act=ivism without guaranteeing bad publicity. They can’t be seen as catering to either side. Mariana doesn’t agree with giving the bigots an online presence but Evan is thinking about business as his hundreds of employees have families they need to provide for. She understands that it’s his choice.
Callie and Mariana return to the Coterie with Callie apologizing for what happened to her app. Callie’s nice suit smells as it’s become her cheap arraignment suit. Mariana wonders if Malika will be okay which Callie hopes for. Gael interrupts to tell them that Malika is back with her charges dropped.
Mariana packs up her desk and convinces her team that ever since they got here they aren’t taken seriously or own their work. She tells Evan that she is leaving the company which he is upset by, especially since she doesn’t know what their future looks like. Mariana walks out of the office and one-by-one, the Byte Club girls agree to leave to create their start-up.
In Whoosh, Pow, Bang, Davia, Gael, and Alice sing happy birthday to Mariana, who sees Callie walking in, looking very confused. Mariana hugs Callie tightly, saying it’s her birthday, though Callie whispers back that it isn’t. Mariana blows out her candles happily.
The Byte Club holds a meeting at The Coterie where they toast to being free from the bro-life at Speckulate. They talk about money and how long they can last without an income, with Mariana estimating three months, while Gina and Claire can last two, but Rachel only three-weeks. They use this as motivation to get funded ASAP. Claire points out that a tech incubator is being held in a few weeks, with Rachel having an idea for an eco-friendly bath and beauty product delivery app. Everyone loves the idea which Rachel calls Bulk Beauty, BB for short, and they toast to not needing Evan anymore. Kelly enters with a bouquet of roses for Mariana.
She remembers having cookies delivered that says DTF and a letter from Evan, saying he is down to fight for her. Callie asks what she plans to do, but Mariana isn’t sure as she can’t tell the team she is dating Evan since they quit in solidarity over him.
In the present, Mariana asks Kelly not to tell her who the roses are from, though Kelly hasn’t had time to read the card. Mariana opens the card which is from Evan, apologizing again by sending the three-dozen roses. She lies to the Byte Club that the roses are from her moms for her birthday. Later that evening, Kelly brings in a huge set of balloons forcing Mariana to lie to Gael and Davia that it’s her birthday since the Byte Club girls are still there.
Alice, Davia, and Gael sing happy birthday to Mariana as Callie walks in. The girls go to their room where Callie is amused by the situation Mariana has managed to get herself in. She also thinks Mariana should tell Evan to stop giving her gifts, though she already talked to Evan. She recalls entering Evan’s apartment which is grand and expensive. He knows the gifts aren’t enough to make up for not shutting down the app, but tells her that he hired a group of moderators to police the hate speech. Speckulate also pulled their promotion for the app with all the profits being donated to the ACLU, which should ensure that the app burns itself out in a few months. She smiles and asks to jump on his trampoline and he joins her in jumping. They proceed to kiss and have sex on the trampoline. At the Coterie, she explains that Evan technically isn’t her boss anymore so she just has to keep her personal and professional lives separate. She plans to tell the fight team girls about her relationship if she and Evan are still dating by the time they get their seed money. A humored Callie reminds Mariana that she can’t celebrate her birthday this year.
Mariana can’t focus on a meeting with her team as she remembers things with Evan after the trampoline, where she told him about the app idea. He doesn’t think it’s a good idea as their coders without experience in retails so they would be in over their heads. He suggests starting with something small to gain capital, like a game app. She’s a little offended by his honesty but he’s confused as she told him not to hold back, which she explains was sarcasm. He doesn't understand sarcasm. He explains that the idea itself is fine but it’s too big of an idea to start with, apologizing for his bluntness. She relays all of this to her team members who agree with her and starting small, creating the next Candy Crush.
In Klompendansen, Callie and Mariana get ready to leave for Jim and Diane’s party, with Callie feeling weird about going after her relationship with Jamie fell apart. At the Coterie, Callie admits that she doesn’t regret what she did and brings up Jerod’s case, which Mariana isn’t sure he knows about. At the house, Mariana convinces Callie to go in but tells her not to tell anyone she’s dating Evan. They ring the bell and Diane answers happily while wearing Dutch wear. Diane explains that in honor of Brandon and Eliza’s Amsterdam adventure, she’s throwing a Dutch-themed party where everyone is dressing up. She tells the surprised sisters to go get changed.
Calle and Mariana emerge and hug everyone as they say hello. Callie whispers in Brandon’s ear that he should have warned them about the outfits, and Brandon whispers back that he didn’t think they wouldn’t come if they knew. The moms ring the bell and Diane leaves to get the door, making a snide comment about them being almost on time. When Diane and Jim are gone, Callie learns that Jim and Diane do know about her and Jamie breaking up but not why they broke up. Mariana whispers to her that them not knowing explains the warm welcome. Brandon also reveals that he didn’t warn their moms about the costumes either.
The Adams Fosters and Hunters go on a tour of the house, and when they emerge, Jamie has arrived. He makes his rounds with hugs, even hugging Mariana who nervously looks to Callie who gives Jamie a brisk nod. The Hunters and Brandon leave for the table while Stef, Lena, Mariana, Callie, and Jude talk about Connor. Mariana slyly asks if they are planning to get back together, but Jude doesn't want to talk about it now. They eventually make their way to the table, with Callie waving Mariana over to their assigned seats together.
Jim asks Jamie how his law firm partners feel about his facial hair, to which Jamie reveals he quit. He didn’t like the track he was on and isn’t sure what he’s doing yet, which upsets Jim. Jim excuses the band so they can talk freely. Eliza chimes in that Jamie might just not know what he wants to do yet, but Jim is convinced that he should have waited to quit until he knew to quit. Mariana adds that she and Callie just quit their jobs which is news to the moms, who thought Callie was still at the clerkship. Callie and Jamie exchange a look from across the table. Mariana tries to cover that she meant Callie’s other job, making Jim question how many jobs she has. Callie explains she left her clerkship early to work at Legal Aid, but now she’s working for a highly regarded defense attorney. Lena asks when this happened. Callie promises she was planning to tell them today. Jim asks Mariana about quitting her job so soon after her app was released, to which Mariana explains it was overrun by white supremacists so she quit. He pointedly asks if he knows any of them. He covers it as a joke but Callie snips back that it isn’t funny. She tells everyone about the verbal attack on Mariana, a revelation that horrifies Stef. Mariana brushes it off as nothing. Diane asks if everyone is ready for their first dish.
The conversation shifts to politics so the children begin to text one another; Mariana asking Callie if she thinks Jamie really quit but she doesn’t know, Carter confronting Jude if he wants Carter to go to UCLA, to which Jude just wants to be sure Carter isn’t coming for him, and Eliza telling Jamie to make their dad stop talking about politics. Jamie asks Eliza if she has a muzzle, Mariana asks if the party can get any more awkward, and Brandon chiming in that it can as he and Brandon have news. The texting continues between everyone, with Eliza asking if Jamie still loves Callie which Mariana points out to Callie that he does. Diane asks everyone to put down their phone so they oblige, though the conversation remains uninteresting to Mariana.
After the meal, Mariana finds her moms hiding in the bathroom as they are "taking a break". Lena asks why she didn’t tell them about the supremacists, but Mariana just didn’t want to upset them. Stef assures her that it’s okay and asks what happens. She explains that the men asked if she was from brown lives matter and told her to go back to Mexico. She tries to claim it’s not a big deal, and Lena comforts Mariana as Stef assures her that she was right to quit. Mariana tries to stand up for Evan just as Callie enters. Lena asks how it is seeing Jamie to which Callie covers that it’s fine. Stef asks why they broke up.
Callie explains why she had and Jamie ended things and the situation behind her reasons for telling the tenants the truth. She asks if what she did was wrong and Mariana chimes in that it isn’t. Lena asks Callie if she thinks it was wrong. Callie isn’t sure which Mariana claims isn’t true. Stef tells Mariana, who she affectionately calls “Miss Thing”, to let her sister speak for herself. Callie thought what she was doing was right but didn't know it would end their relationship. Lena thinks it was the right thing to do with Stef knowing how hard it can be to be in a relationship with someone so different. She tells Callie to decide what she’s willing to compromise, prompting Mariana to remark how she knows about that. Lena asks if things are hard with Raj, and Mariana reveals they broke up, which surprises the moms. Mariana quickly reveals that Brandon and Eliza have news, just as he emerges in the bathroom. He chuckles when everyone says they’re taking a break. He tells about the guest house in the back that he usually hides out in. Stef asks what his news is.
The Adams Fosters emerge from the bathroom as a group and run into Diane. Diane asks why they were all in the bathroom, to which they cover that they were washing their hands. Diane introduces them to Fleur, who will be teaching them traditional dances. Everyone lines up outside as Fleur explains Stef’s role in the dance, which includes an instrument. Their attempts are humorous as the group begins to have fun with the dances, eventually getting the hang of everything. Mariana and Diane gleefully dance together until the song ends.
When the day is over, Callie joins Mariana, her moms, Brandon, Eliza, and the rest of the Hunters at the door where they say goodbye. Stef, Lena, Callie, Mariana, and Corey leave first. Callie is excited to meet Ka’maya, Corey's half-sister that Stef and Lena have decided to foster, while Mariana knew the nest wouldn’t stay empty long. Lena asks Callie if she got the answer she needed when it came to Jamie. Callie feels that she did get an answer - what she did was the only choice she could have made. Lena is proud of the girls for taking such strong stands, and Mariana blurts out that she’s dating Evan. She presses that she isn’t like Callie and can’t ignore her feelings for principals, especially since Evan is doing the best he can which she’s okay with. Stef and Lena are okay with that since she’s being true to herself which is all they can ask. The sisters hug Stef and Lena, then Corey. As they leave, Stef tells them to text when they get home. Stef whispers to Lena that she’s looking forward to dealing with four-year-old problems and kisses her cheek. Corey waves goodbye to the car as Callie and Mariana drive away.
In Because, Men, Mariana teaches Evan her prototype game which he finds satisfying. As he finishes watching the game she goes to get something to eat, with him instantly being agitated by her lack of footwear or socks. He follows her downstairs in his slippers, asking her to consider in-app purchases while she looks for food. As they talk about the perks of in-app purchasing, including the dopamine release it gives, Evan goes behind Marian restoring his fridge to the exact order and straightening the silverware drawer. He abruptly leaves the conversation to get her socks under the guise of not wanting her to catch a cold.
Callie tries to track down a family member of Jerod’s but doesn’t have much luck as his sister won’t answer. Mariana inquires about the phone call so Callie explains the DA’s offer and Kathleen suddenly wants to take the case to trial, putting Jerod in jail for even longer. Mariana asks if that’s legal, which it is, though it is ethically gray. Kathleen thinks that Jerod can’t decide for himself right now, which is why Callie is trying to track down his sister though Kathleen isn’t apprised of the situation. Mariana points out that Callie doesn’t trust Kathleen, though Callie remembers how Marcus told her about Kathleen leaving her old firm under shady circumstances. She worries she made a mistake.
The Byte Club girls meet at the Coterie to discuss in-app purchases, with Claire on board while Rachel and Gina aren’t sure if it’s the right move. Mariana thinks it necessary if they plan to gain investors. The club agrees and makes a note of it, while Rachel asks if they knew that Evan is the co-founder of an app called Day Trader. Evan texts Mariana about dinner reservations while Rachel prattles about how the people involved in Day Trader knew nothing about the stock market but thought it was a big idea, so they pitched it and figured it out after they were funded. Mariana is surprised to hear the information while Rachel and Gina remark that they did it “because, men”. Mariana remembers her conversation in bed with Evan that morning about setting herself up for success and not diving in over her head.
Evan texts Mariana back about her inquiry on dinner being at 11, as he doesn't’ understand if the question mark on the end meant how that idea sounded to him or if she was being sarcastic. She quickly responds that they have to work late on their pitch for tomorrow but the question mark wasn’t sarcastic. He asks if she’s mad at him but then doesn’t send the text as he ponders why she would be mad.
Mariana and the Byte Club girls arrive at the incubator where she gets his text but brushes it off. They are approached by Alex and Sam who heard about their walkout at Speckulate. Sam thinks it’s because of PMS as they’ve “synced cycles” but Mariana brushes it off as they have an idea to pitch. Sam wishes them luck though they already pitched a female app about interior design then proceeds to shower them with sexist remarks. Mariana congratulates them on their work with Alex feigning gratitude then leaves, calling her “Mary-anna” once again. When they leave, Mariana is annoyed by their “figure it out later” mentality when it comes to their app. She vents how men trust other men to figure things out and decide last-minute to pitch Bulk Beauty. The girls are worried as they don’t have a deck, but Mariana thinks it’s time to be bold and figure out the rest later.
Mariana storms into Evan’s apartment as she is mad. She calls him out for being a hypocrite as he told her to start small when he didn’t. He didn’t think they could figure it out because it’s hard, as he meant that it’s stressful as they bit off more than they could chew. They got lucky but they ended up hating each other. She, however, thinks the girl’s only downfall was not believing in their idea which is why they pitched Bulk Beauty. He asks if they bought the app.
Meanwhile, Mariana and the girls leave the meeting defeated as Gina thinks they should have pitched the app idea. Mariana doesn’t want to quit after one pass and convinces them to do it again next time with more preparation.
In Help, Callie and Mariana have trouble sleeping with Rachel’s abrasive snoring. Mariana throws a pillow at her but she sleeps through it. Callie begs Mariana to do something as she has to be up in two hours. Mariana whisper-yells Rachel’s name until the girl jolts awake.
In the morning, Mariana is eating breakfast when Kelly enters wondering who has been using all the hot water. Mariana apologetically reveals that it’s probably her friend Rachel. She remembers a Byte Club meeting where Rachel reveals her cards are maxed out, she doesn’t have next month’s rent, so she’s going to move back with her parents in Indiana. Claire and the women don’t want Rachel to leave as Bulk Beauty was her idea, but Rachel can’t afford to live anywhere. Mariana impulsively recommends living with her. In the present, Mariana claims it’s only for a few nights as Rachel’s place is being tented. Kelly tells Mariana to make sure Rachel takes shorter showers. Malika and Kelly exchange playful banter on their way out of the kitchen. Once alone, Callie asks Mariana how long Rachel is planning to stay since app funding could take a while. She remarks that she’s sorry to be a downer but she needs her sleep. Evan texts Mariana about missing her and having to ditch Rachel, just as Rachel taps her on the shoulder enthusiastically wondering if Mariana is texting a new boy. Mariana lies that it isn’t but Rachel isn’t convinced but leaves anyway, shouting back that they are out of shampoo.
At The Coterie, Mariana and Rachel skype with Claire and Gina about their progress but they haven’t had any luck achieving funding. Gina asks how living together is going, with Rachel quipping that it’s great while Mariana reluctantly agrees. She gets a message from Evan and quickly dismisses it before Rachel can see it. She asks Rachel to join from her computer just as she gets another message from Evan, prompting an excited Rachel to tell the other girls that she thinks Mariana has a new boyfriend. Unable to tell them the truth, Mariana lies that she’s been messaging her brother Jesus who is going through a hard time. The other girls are sympathetic.
That night, Mariana sneaks out of her bedroom and past a snoring Rachel. She changes outfits and hurries out of The Coterie.
Evan and Mariana lay in bed as he asks how long Rachel is staying at The Coterie, but Mariana isn’t sure as they can’t even find an investor. He offers to help but she refuses despite his insistence. She blurts out that she loves him but when he questions it she corrects that she loves him for trying to help, but she also doesn’t want his help. He tells her to think of it as him helping himself since he’s tired of her sneaking out to see him so he’s acting in his self-interest. He wouldn’t be helping her sell it but she politely tells him not, as she wants to do it on her own. Rachel texts Mariana asking where she is.
Mariana meets the Byte Club at a coffee shop with news that they have a meeting. The girls are excited and ask how that is possible. Mariana remembers coming home from her tryst with Evan to an inquiring Rachel, prompting her to lie that she was in the bathroom. Rachel claims she looked everywhere including the other residents but no one found her. Mariana claims she sleepwalks which worries Rachel deeply. Mariana lays down in bed and decides to text Evan to get them a meeting but that’s all. At the shop, Mariana lies about going to an assistant who went to MIT together. Mariana thinks it would be a great team-building exercise for Rachel to stay with the other girls intermittently too.
In New Moon, Mariana and Callie discuss the ceremony since Mariana isn’t thrilled with the idea. Claire texts Mariana to talk about Raj. She remembers collecting Raj’s things to leave in a box on the kitchen table. She opens up to Callie about feeling sad about moving on from Raj, but even though she’s happy with Evan she still loves Raj. Calle understands it’s hard to let go. In the present, Mariana tells Callie about the text from Claire but Callie thinks it can wait. Malika collects everyone’s phones which sparks Mariana to run out with her phone.
Mariana facetimes Claire and she tells Mariana that they have been talking to one another. She wanted to talk to Mariana before anything happened as she doesn’t want things to get here without Mariana’s blessing. Raj arrives for his box so Mariana hangs up to talk with him. She tries to make small talk with him and denies having his NASA shirt, even though she remembers putting it in a drawer after smelling it. He thanks her for the stuff just as she hears animal noises and something bumps the lamp. It falls over and the pair run into the bathroom and hide in the stalls.
Mariana can’t reach any of her Coterie members and panics over what it could be. She talks to animal control about the kind of animal it could and Raj denies it being a bobcat or bigger than one foot. The people promise to be there in a few hours. He goes to leave the stall but she feels safer with him there. She asks if there’s anything new in his life but he declines though he’s looking for a new job. She asks if he’s seeing anyone and he admits that he is but doesn’t want to say the name since she might know his new girlfriend. She then tells him to go back to his stall so he complies. Mariana angrily texts Claire that she knows they’re already dating.
Mariana’s phone rings, and Claire calls and asks if his relationship is serious. He admits that it’s new but not serious. Claire has her ask if it’s exclusive to which he replies no. Mariana hangs up the call while Raj smiles. Gael goes to the bathroom and finds Mariana and Raj. Raj points out that raccoons can carry rabies. When the racoon situation is dealt with, Raj admits to Mariana that he’s missed her and goes to kiss her but she stops him. Raj apologizes to Mariana for misunderstanding the situation. She knows it will always be hard but knows that he and Claire are talking but assures him that Claire is interested in being more than friends. Raj realizes they are over and she pretends to suddenly find the NASA search in her drawer. He thanks her and they hug goodbye.
In Trust, Mariana and the Byte Club pitch Bulk Beauty to Kelly as a practice run, though Gina stumbles on her pitching. In the bathroom, Claire, Rachel, and Mariana agree that Gina’s pitching sucks which is why they asked Kelly, however, Kelly wasn’t listening as she had AirPods in. Gina asks if the group has any feedback for her, so Mariana recommends having more energy.
At the Coterie, Gina’s pitch is louder and exaggerated but still terrible, so Mariana suggests splitting the part for dynamics which all the girls agree with. Gina suggests that she just be in charge of clicking through the slides and is sad when the girls agree.
In the bathroom, Kelly asks Mariana what the deal is with Gina, as she caught her crying in the bathroom the other day. Kelly explains that she did hear the pitch but it wasn’t her place to tell Gina as she isn’t a business partner or friend. Mariana explains that Gina left on her own accord, but Kelly asks if Gina bowed out because Mariana and the girls made her feel like shit. Kelly validates the strategy but tells her to own it.
Mariana and the Byte Club apologize to Gina for cutting down her pitch instead of telling her the truth. Gina notes that they won’t be good partners or friends if they can’t be direct. Gina asks how she can improve, so they give her honest feedback. Gina asks for help on working with that, so Mariana suggests going around and giving honest feedback. Gina tells Claire that it’s difficult for her to abandon past projects but she knows it’s because Claire is just a great problem solver who wants to make it work. Claire tells Rachel that her focus isn’t always great so she misses deadlines, even though the work is elegant in the end. Rachel, in turn, tells Mariana her code is sloppy and the other girls agree.
In Driver's Seat, The Coterie group plays a game that Kelly invented, with nearly everyone being confused. Gael compliments her on the game being specific, with help from Callie. Mariana tells Callie that she got their mom a candle of the month subscription, remembering Callie turning down all her ideas so Mariana lies that there was a pop-up sale.
Kelly, Mariana, and Alice play the game until Kelly becomes angry with the game and leaves. Mariana asks Alice if she’s okay and learns that Alice feels like she sucks at everything, especially Ruby as things are over between them. Alice was tired of being in the passenger seat but now she and Ruby are in different cars. Mariana tells her to figure out what she wants and ask for it. She invites Alice on a date tomorrow night.
Callie is getting ready when Mariana enters and compliments her appearance. Davia wonders why Gael is playing coy but he just doesn’t want to get hurt again nor does he know what she wants. Callie doesn’t think he’s interested anymore and if she’s wrong, as Mariana points out, she’ll keep a different shade in her purse.
Mariana and Alice go to Douro for a date and she puts down Alice’s idea to go there and Alice fails her first test. She tells Alice confidence is sexy.
Mariana and Alice have their date and she tells Alice to take the photos on her phone instead. She tells Alice that it's not okay for someone to change her look, Mariana looks at her phone and then asks if she’s interested in the person or just wants the person to like her. As the night progresses, Mariana tells Alice to learn to say no without lying. Alice finally gives herself confidence which makes Mariana so proud.
Callie is working when Mariana arrives guessing that things didn’t go well with Callie and Gael. Mariana suggests that Gael is playing it cool but Callie isn’t sure, but she has to get work done or Tommy will go to prison. Callie asks about her date with Alice, which Mariana remarks were fun. She remembers telling Alice that if she wants to be in the driver’s seat, she has to stand up for herself and not play games. Alice knows she’s right and remarks on how great Mariana is at this, to which Mariana admits that she isn’t always that way and there is a relationship she feels like the passenger in.
Mariana tells Callie she lied about the candle of the month present being on sale because Callie is always in the driver’s seat and shoots down her ideas. Callie notes that mom wouldn’t have liked any of them, but Mariana is annoyed by this. Their fight escalates to Callie pointing out that Mariana chose LA, The Coterie, their furniture, without consulting. Mariana thinks that lying is the only way she can get what she wants because Callie makes her feel like her opinion isn’t valid. Callie quips back that when Mariana lies she feels like she can’t trust her. Mariana wants them to be a team that compromises, and they promise to try and work on their ideas. Mariana states that the candles are amazing and mom will love them. Callie laughs at this, but when Mariana asks her the time Callie realizes the final piece of their novel defense.
In She's Back, Mariana admits she didn’t think through the situation which Callie thinks is very on-brand for her. Mariana doesn’t think that she should tell the Byte Club girls about her and Evan even if they do sell the pitch, as she doesn’t think they’ll be accepting; they resent, dislike, and distrust him. Callie reminds her that she can’t keep her relationship a secret forever. Mariana asks about the court case and learns that Kathleen is presenting Callie’s novel defense argument in the hopes of getting a continuance. They wish one another luck as Callie leaves.
Mariana and the group pitch Bulk Beauty to investors, where the leader of the board is a woman. They leave the meeting elated as the woman in charge agreed to fund the app. The woman and the CEO Vincent meet the group and he’s excited to talk with them.
Mariana arrives at Evan’s apartment to follow a trail of rose petals and candles that lead outside, where Evan has prepared a twinkle light dinner. He wanted to take her out but knows they can’t be seen together yet. She thanks him for setting up the dinner and the pitch meeting. He just opened the door for her to walk through. He gives her a BB necklace for Bulk Beauty. He got it on Etsy and she likes it and tells him she loves him and he returns the sentiment so they kiss. They wake up in bed in the morning and he asks when she’s going to tell the Byte Club about her. Mariana answers a call from Jackie that sadly tells her that Vincent passed on the project. He usually signs off but didn’t on this one, but assures Mariana it’s a great idea that will land somewhere. Evan apologizes for the app not getting picked up, but Mariana feels responsible as the girls quit their jobs to follow her, but they're out of money now. Evan offers them their jobs back but Mariana and the girls want to put something good in the world and not listen to a boss who didn’t shut down something Evil. She doesn’t feel the same as them but knows that’s what they will say.
Mariana goes to see Vincent and he tells her that Jackie never pitched her idea to him. Jackie appears to ask what’s going on. They talk outside, with Jackie apologizing for lying and even though she loved it she found out about her Speckulate pay gap initiative. The perception is that Mariana and her team are trouble makers, and Jackie doesn’t have the luxury of making a mistake, and Mariana confronting Vincent only validated her concerns.
Mariana tells the group who are mad about the gaslighting and mocking from Speckulate and think Evan is to blame for the toxic work environment. They want to sue Speckulate and Evan Speck for workplace harassment and then use the money to fund Bulk Beauty. Marina refutes the idea and admits that Evan is her boyfriend.
- Jesus Adams Foster - (see Jariana) Jesus and Mariana are fraternal twins. They were born to Ana and Gabe, and were raised in a rough and unbalanced environment. Their biological mother was addicted to drugs and their father was in prison. They were placed into foster care for a few years and moved around frequently. They were eventually adopted by Stef and Lena Adams Foster when they were around five-years-old after their former foster parents could no longer take care of them. The siblings were extremely close growing up, as they only had one another when they were moving around foster homes. Even as teens they remained close, even though they did argue frequently and have a few falling outs. In the end, they are each other's best friends and always have one another's back.
- Callie Adams Foster - (see Callie and Mariana) Callie is Mariana's adoptive sister and one of her best friends following Jesus. Mariana was originally off-put by Callie's rough and abrasive attitude. The two had such strong, differing, personalities that they got into many arguments. When Stef and Lena decided to fully foster Callie and her younger brother, Jude, Callie was moved into Mariana's room. This led to them fighting more and simultaneously developing a deeper bond. Their biggest falling outs concerned Callie's relationship with Brandon, as well as Mariana's inability to keep a secret combined with both girls' lies. As the years passed, the girls only grew closer and referred to one another as sisters, especially after Callie was finally adopted into the family. After graduating college, the girls moved to Los Angeles and became roommates, where they currently are embarking on the next chapter of their lives. Their relationship in LA was initially similar to that of what they had in San Diego - close, bickering, yet always supporting one another. This began to change as they drifted apart, with Mariana growing closer to the clique of girls in The Coterie, while Callie yearned for a different lifestyle. They had a large falling out when old resentments came back to haunt them, including Callie's relationship with Gael Martinez despite Mariana's feelings for him. Their lies to one another reached a breaking point, especially when Callie learned that Mariana was part of a group chat called the "Coterie Bitches" that dedicated most of their time to hating on Callie. This being the metaphorical straw, Callie moved out of their apartment leaving only a letter to Mariana explaining that she will uphold her end of the lease until Mariana finds a new roommate. This strain lasted for months, as they seemed to agree that they are "sisters but not best friends." It took their personal lives crumbling for them to reconnect, and Callie to move back into the Coterie.
- Tia Stephens - Mariana and Tia met through the dance team at Anchor Beach Community Charter School, where they bonded and became close friends. They practiced together in the backyard of the Adams Foster House. They formed their dance team together after Mariana and Tia left Hayley's, which brought their relationship even closer. After their team competed and won their competition, the pair drifted apart and eventually stopped being friends.
- Lexi Rivera - Lexi and Mariana were best-friends years prior to Pilot and had mutual respect for one another. Lexi and Mariana's brother, Jesus, had started a secret relationship which they hid from Mariana as they knew she wouldn't understand and would be hurt. When Mariana found out about the relationship during her Quinceanera, she became angry at both of them. She explained that she was uncomfortable with the idea of her best friend and her brother dating. Lexi tried to talk with her, but Mariana refused to forgive her. They ultimately made-up, and became close once again. They remained best-friends even when Lexi had to move Honduras. They parted for the final time after Lexi moved to Honduras permanently under the pretenses that she had a boyfriend back in the country. Lexi had lied about her boyfriend to make Jesus feel better about moving on with Emma.
- Casey -
- The Byte Club -
- Isabella - Mariana placed a request with Alice for a new roommate. Alice referred Mariana to Isabella. When Isabella arrived for the introduction, they were wearing the same shirt. They quickly bonded over their mutual love for Grey's Anatomy and even had the same favorite episode - the plane crash. Mariana liked Isabella so much she disregarded her references and approved her. Isabella moved in shortly after. They bonded for the first time when Mariana vented about her boss and boyfriend.
- Raj Patil - (see Mariana and Raj) Their relationship originally began as co-workers when Mariana thought he was just like the other sexist employees at Speckulate, however, they grew closer as they learned more about one another. They grew closer through their work and eventually allowed themselves to cross the line between co-workers and lovers. Mariana was initially hesitant as she didn't want people to measure her success by her relationship with Raj. She has since overcome that hesitation and he's helped her and the byte club in their efforts to make Speckulate an equal environment. They have since dated, had sex, and proclaimed their love for one another. Raj is Mariana's first serious relationship since high school.
- Evan Speck - (see Mariana and Evan) They first met when Mariana was hired at Evan's company, Speckulate. He took an interest in her from a professional point of view, though they shared a mutual interest in one another. Things progressed into a friendship with her helping him to understand dating and modern day slang. He confided in her about his personal struggles with Asperger's syndrome and how it effects his daily life. Their attraction to one another grew until they had sex, which Mariana instigated. However, her relationship with Raj Patil left her feeling conflicted over who to choose. She ultimately decided to be with Evan, though they agreed on a secret relationship for the betterment of the company and their careers.
- Zac Rogers - (see Mariana and Zac) Zac was a classmate Mariana met while on the set of a school play. It is hinted that he had a crush on her. Although, she didn't initially feel the same way. Despite originally not having any feelings for him, Mariana grew close to Zac and eventually returned his feelings. They had a short-lived relationship, with his mother suffering from Alzheimer's disease and requiring proper care. This resulted in Zac moving away to live with his father. Zac was Mariana's first boyfriend.
- Mat Tan - (Mariana and Mat) Matt is a member of Brandon's band. This is how Mariana originally got to know him. The two initially bantered often, and as the two grew close, Matt, after asking for Brandon's permission, asked her out, to which she accepted. The two connected over having biological parents abandoning them and the uncomfortableness of letting someone know. Mat and Mariana then say "I love you" for the first time in Light of Day. They break up for the first time a few episodes later. They finally tell each other they still love one another in The Show. After Nick comes to school and then her house with a gun, Mariana's relationship with him effectively ends, and she and Mat get back together in Trust. The two have sex for the first time together in Dream a Little Dream. They break up again for the final time in Cruel and Unusual.
- Nick Stratos - (Mariana and Nick) Nick is the first guy Mariana started a relationship after dating Mat. At first, she thought he is immature, after witnessing his behavior with Jesus in her house and after he participated in a car race while she was in the car. However, after he increased his EQ and apologized, they reconciled and began to date. During their relationship, Nick repeatedly pulls out the big stops for her. Their relationship was always complicated due to Mariana's feelings for Mat, and this escalated until one day, he brought a gun to school. Mariana and Nick talk at school and she explains that she was only saying goodbye to Mat, but Nick doesn't believe her. Nick, on the loose with a gun, breaks into Mariana's house and sneaks up on Mariana with the gun. Nick is ultimately arrested. Under the belief that they are still together, Nick reaches out to Mariana by calling and texting her while he's in a mental facility. Mariana allows him to continue believing this, even though she has begun dating Mat again. Nick had insisted that Mariana was the only thing keeping him alive. Mariana was afraid of what he'd do if she ended things with him. In Collateral Damage, Nick says he understands they aren't together anymore and apologizes for how he's made her feel.
- Logan Bayfield - Mariana became interested in Logan when he moved next door to her and instantly tried to win him over by acting as if she had the same interests as him. They became friends, but Mariana always wanted to be more than that. When she learned that Logan has a girlfriend she backed off and started helping him to win over his girlfriend when they were fighting. Mariana's relationship with Logan became increasingly awkward, especially after his girlfriend claimed that she liked him which forced Mariana to pretend she was in a relationship. Logan's mother, Tess, even threatened Mariana to keep her away from her son. They eventually dated for a while, however, Mariana decided that she wasn't ready to be in a committed relationship, and wanted to date other people as well as Logan.
Notes and Trivia
- Mariana pierced her nose herself in The Morning After. However, she takes her stud piercing off before Stef and Lena's wedding in I Do and hasn't been seen wearing it since.
- Mariana meets Ana, her birth mother, for the first time in 10 years in Pilot. She had been secretly talking to Ana online for some time before this, deeply wanting to know her birth mother. Their relationship was strained for a long time due to Ana's drug addiction, but improved following Ana's rehabilitation.
- In Vigil, it is shown that Jesus and Mariana were adopted July 1, 2006, by Stef and Lena.
- She dyes her hair blonde in Things Unknown, but soon returns to her natural hair color in Someone's Little Sister.
- In The Honeymoon, Lena states that everyone now has the same last name. In Things Unknown, Mariana's name is shown as "Mariana Adams Foster" on the school dance team roster.
- Mariana was on Anchor Beach's original dance team before creating her separate team due to differences with the dance team captain, Kaitlyn.
- Mariana can be very sensitive to peer pressure or a lack of social acceptance. Such examples are when she pierced her nose to fit in with Garrett's crowd and dyed her hair blonde to fit in with her dance team.
- She wears glasses occasionally while at home, but contacts while in public and work.
- It is implied that Mariana has abandonment issues, most likely due to her biological mother Ana leaving her and Jesus when they were kids. She was shown to react to the idea of Jesus or Callie leaving the Fosters house very badly.
- Mariana is, at least for a majority of the series, a vegetarian due to knowing about the abuse animals endure while becoming an edible food. She temporarily breaks this diet by eating fish in Mother Nature, though she says it is strictly because she is in "survival mode".
- Mariana loses her virginity to Wyatt in the season three premiere Wreckage.
- She originally intended to lose her virginity to her then-boyfriend, Mat, so that he would "remember" her while on his three-week band tour. However, he turned her down and she ran into Wyatt, who she began drinking with before initiating a hookup. This is a choice Mariana deeply regretted since Wyatt was Callie's ex-boyfriend.
- Her biological grandmother Elena has stated that Mariana looks a lot like how Ana did as a teenager before the latter started using drugs.
- Characters have twice expressed fear of Mariana, both times to Brandon, and both times in response to a suggestion of Brandon's. Mat expresses having a healthy fear of her in If You Only Knew when discussing the idea of prohibiting her from attending the "pharm" party. When Brandon asks Callie to wake up a sleeping Mariana in The Show, Callie refers to the act as "unleashing the beast," and that they should be afraid.
- In Not That Kind of Girl, it's revealed that Mariana had to take her written driver's test twice. She claims the answers seemed too obvious, so she thought they were trying to trick her.
- Mariana created a "fight club" at Speckulate to help her fellow female co-workers deal with the sexism in their workplace.
- She had her first threesome in "Swipe Right" with Eli and his girlfriend.
|Mariana Adams Foster has a photo gallery.|
Characters (The Fosters)
|Main||Stef Adams Foster • Lena Adams Foster • Brandon Foster • Callie Adams Foster • Mariana Adams Foster • Jude Adams Foster • Jesus Adams Foster • Mike Foster|
|Recurring||AJ Hensdale • Emma Kurtzman • Ana Gutierrez Foster • Connor Stevens • Daphne Keene • Aiden • Becka • Carmen • Cole • Cortney Strathmore • Declan Rivers • Gabriel Duncroft • Grace • Hayley Heinz • Jack Downey • Jill Quinn • Kelsey • Kiara • Lexi Rivera • Logan Bayfield • Lou Chan • Mat Tan • Monte Porter • Mr. Timothy • Nick Stratos • Noah Walker • Poppy Sinfuego • Rafael • Rita Hendricks • Robert Quinn • Sophia Quinn • Talya Banks • Taylor • Tess Bayfield • Vico Cerar • Wyatt Casey • Ximena Sinfuego • Zac Rogers|
|Minor||Amanda Rogers • Captain Roberts • Chase Dillon • Dana Adams • Daria • Devonee • Donald Jacob • Eliza Foster • Ernesto Rivera • Evan • Frank Cooper • Gabi • Joe Gray • Karina Sánchez • Kat • Kyle Snow • Liam Olmstead • Nathan Adams • Olivia • Sarah • Sharon Elkin • Sonya Rivera|
Characters (Good Trouble)
|Main||Callie Adams Foster • Mariana Adams Foster • Malika Williams • Alice Kwan • Gael Martinez • Curtis Wilson • Davia Moss • Dennis Cooper • Jamie Hunter|
|Major||Alex Wood • Andre Johnson • Angela Miller • Benjamin • Bryan • Casey Pierce • Claire Badgley • Dom Williams • Dyonte • Elijah Adrieux • Evan Speck • Yuri Ellwin • Gina Spero • Isaac Hall • Isabella • Joey Riverton • Joseph Turner • Josh Mandela • Kathleen Gale • Kelly • Kendra Zahir • Lindsay Brady • Marcus • Matt • Melina Abdullah • Nicolette Baptiste • Patrisse Cullors • Rachel Boyle • Raj Patil • Rebecca • Ruby • Sam Higgins • Sandra Thompson • Sumi • Teresa • Tony Britton|
|Minor||Bonnie Moss • Cary Plack • Diana • Gwen Tuckerman • Jazmin Martinez • Jeff Maxwell • Jennifer Cooper • Kate Nguyen • Libby Wilson • Margaret Cho • Meera Mattei • Rafael Martinez • Rowan • Tate Wilson • Tolu Eze • Trea Kwan • Yari Clarke|