|A girl who leaves behind a trail of glitter will never be forgotten.|
Mariana is the biological daughter of Ana Gutierrez and Gabriel Duncroft, and the adoptive daughter of Stef and Lena Adams Foster. She is also the fraternal twin sister of Jesus, as well as the adoptive sister of Callie, Brandon, and Jude Adams Foster.
Mariana is a brilliant coder who discovered her skills in high school after joining the STEAM team. After graduating high school, Mariana attended and graduated from MIT, before being hired to work at the tech up-start Speckulate as a software engineer. Mariana has since witnessed first-hand the blatant sexism and racism in her workplace and is fighting for equality.
Mariana is portrayed by actress and singer, Cierra Ramirez.
Mariana was born May 17, 1998, and is the fraternal twin sister of Jesus. She is the biological daughter of Ana Gutierrez and Gabriel Duncroft, although Gabriel was originally unaware of the twins' birth. Ana and Gabe and a consensual relationship when she was 15 and he was 18, which resulted in Ana's parents having him arrested for having sex with a minor despite her objections. Infuriated with her parents, Ana left home and began drinking and doing drugs more heavily, which was around the time she discovered that she was pregnant.
After the twins were born, Ana was still a drug addict and for this reason, Mariana and Jesus grew up in a tumultuous and unstable environment. Mariana vividly remembers a Christmas when she and Jesus were five years old and left alone at home for what felt like days while Ana was away getting drugs. Mariana described the experience as "terrifying", but, Jesus soothed her despite being scared as well. Following this incident, it became apparent that Ana couldn't care for her children due to her addiction. The siblings were placed into the foster care system soon after.
While the time they were in the foster system is unknown, Mariana was likely only in the system a year or so. Mariana lamented to Callie how she remembered frequently moving around as a foster child, and the various girls she had to room with, and sometimes being put in some "messed up" homes.
One day, Mariana and Jesus' foster parents decided that they couldn't deal with the kids anymore and dropped them off at the police station for CPS to handle. At this time, Stef Foster was a police officer and noticed the children. She approached them and learned their names before giving them each a lollipop. Mariana was quiet and didn't speak to Stef, nor did she accept the candy until Jesus handed it to her. After this, Stef and her partner Lena Adams decided to foster the twins. They brought them into their home, where they became foster siblings with Stef's biological son, Brandon. The twins were later adopted by the couple when they were 11. Mariana once said that she didn't feel true love and safety until Stef and Lena took her and Jesus in.
Mariana is very smart and girly and cares about appearances, in the least hers, very much. She's shown to be popular and is always organizing social events. Frequently, Mariana has shown strong leadership among her peers and is very proactive during a variety of situations, even organizing a protest against Mr. Timothy's firing at Anchor Beach. Not unlike the rest of her siblings, Mariana is extremely loyal and protective over her family and friends.
While she is usually kind, she can be naive when it comes to certain topics. However, she usually learns from her mistakes. Mariana also loves to gossip and speaks Spanish fluently. Despite her confident exterior, underneath it all, she can be very insecure and sometimes caves into peer pressure to be accepted. This is shown multiple times throughout the series. For example, when seeing old friend Garret had a new edgier scene and friends, she pierced her nose herself at home to fit in. When making it onto the dance team, she had overheard fellow dance teammates claiming she only made it because she's Latina. This led her to dye her hair blonde so she could fit in while distancing herself from her Latin heritage. However, she has learned not to give in to how others make her feel and to be herself.
Mariana is a young, beautiful girl with a pale complexion, dark brown eyes. She has medium length deep brown hair which she wears in a variety of styles: curly, straight, or naturally waved. She has a slim, yet toned and athletic figure. Mariana's clothing sense is very girly; she often wears bright colors, such as pinks, yellows, and blues. She is often seen wearing a mixture of floral dresses and skirts with colorful cardigans and heels, and dark jeans and jackets over bright colored shirts.
While working at Speckulate, her fashion sense was forced to change due to the misogyny at the office. She began wearing jeans, simple t-shirts, and her hair pulled back in a ponytail.
Mariana and her adoptive sister, Callie, are on the highway heading for Los Angeles. They are recapping the last few years of their lives, with Mariana having graduated from MIT and now working for a tech start-up, Speckulate. The sisters are singing and dancing in their seats, laughing as they head to their new apartment. They park and begin to realize that things aren't how they expected them to be.
Callie recognized The Coterie as a communal living apartment and was shocked. Mariana attempts to seem surprised as well. However, Mariana knew all along that it was communal living housing but also knew it was the only thing they could afford. Once outside, they discover that their U-Haul had been towed. They and had to pay a large sum of money to get it back from the company. When they found it, they were appalled to learn that they had been robbed, and the only things left in the U-Haul were their mattresses.
From there, they head to a little thrift store to get clothes for the morning and have fun in the shop. They befriend the owner and dance with her, play with the clothes, dress-up in silly outfits, and even find some dolls that resemble them. Ultimately, they find the clothing that they need for the next day and head back to The Coterie. Back at The Coterie, Mariana falls asleep almost instantly.
Season 1 (13/13)
Season 2 (18/18)
Season 3 (0/0)
Main article: Jesus and Mariana
Jesus and Mariana are fraternal twins. They were born to Ana and Gabe, and were raised in a rough and unbalanced environment. Their biological mother was addicted to drugs and their father was in prison. They were placed into foster care for a few years and moved around frequently. They were eventually adopted by Stef and Lena Adams Foster when they were around five-years-old after their former foster parents could no longer take care of them. The siblings were extremely close growing up, as they only had one another when they were moving around foster homes. Even as teens they remained close, even though they did argue frequently and have a few falling outs. In the end, they are each other's best friends and always have one another's back.
Main article: Callie and Mariana
Callie is Mariana's adoptive sister and one of her best friends following Jesus. Mariana was originally off-put by Callie's rough and abrasive attitude. The two had such strong, differing, personalities that they got into many arguments. When Stef and Lena decided to fully foster Callie and her younger brother, Jude, Callie was moved into Mariana's room. This led to them fighting more and simultaneously developing a deeper bond. Their biggest falling outs concerned Callie's relationship with Brandon, as well as Mariana's inability to keep a secret combined with both girls' lies. As the years passed, the girls only grew closer and referred to one another as sisters, especially after Callie was finally adopted into the family. After graduating college, the girls moved to Los Angeles and became roommates, where they currently are embarking on the next chapter of their lives.
- Tia Stephens - Mariana and Tia met through the dance team at Anchor Beach Community Charter School, where they bonded and became close friends. They practiced together in the backyard of the Adams Foster House. They formed their dance team together after Mariana and Tia left Hayley's, which brought their relationship even closer. After their team competed and won their competition, the pair drifted apart and eventually stopped being friends.
- Lexi Rivera - Lexi and Mariana were best-friends years prior to Pilot and had mutual respect for one another. Lexi and Mariana's brother, Jesus, had started a secret relationship which they hid from Mariana as they knew she wouldn't understand and would be hurt. When Mariana found out about the relationship during her Quinceanera, she became angry at both of them. She explained that she was uncomfortable with the idea of her best friend and her brother dating. Lexi tried to talk with her, but Mariana refused to forgive her. They ultimately made-up, and became close once again. They remained best-friends even when Lexi had to move Honduras. They parted for the final time after Lexi moved to Honduras permanently under the pretenses that she had a boyfriend back in the country. Lexi had lied about her boyfriend to make Jesus feel better about moving on with Emma.
- Casey -
- Isabella - Mariana placed a request with Alice for a new roommate. Alice referred Mariana to Isabella. When Isabella arrived for the introduction, they were wearing the same shirt. They quickly bonded over their mutual love for Grey's Anatomy and even had the same favorite episode - the plane crash. Mariana liked Isabella so much she disregarded her references and approved her. Isabella moved in shortly after. They bonded for the first time when Mariana vented about her boss and boyfriend.
Their relationship originally began as co-workers when Mariana thought he was just like the other sexist employees at Speckulate, however, they grew closer as they learned more about one another. They grew closer through their work and eventually allowed themselves to cross the line between co-workers and lovers. Mariana was initially hesitant as she didn't want people to measure her success by her relationship with Raj. She has since overcome that hesitation and he's helped her and the byte club in their efforts to make Speckulate an equal environment. They have since dated, had sex, and proclaimed their love for one another. Raj is Mariana's first serious relationship since high school.
Main article: Zariana
Zac was a classmate Mariana met while on the set of a school play. It is hinted that he had a crush on her. Although, she didn't initially feel the same way. Despite originally not having any feelings for him, Mariana grew close to Zac and eventually returned his feelings. They had a short-lived relationship, with his mother suffering from Alzheimer's disease and requiring proper care. This resulted in Zac moving away to live with his father. Zac was Mariana's first boyfriend.
Main article: Mariana and Mat
Matt is a member of Brandon's band. This is how Mariana originally got to know him. The two initially bantered often, and as the two grew close, Matt, after asking for Brandon's permission, asked her out, to which she accepted. The two connected over having biological parents abandoning them and the uncomfortableness of letting someone know. Mat and Mariana then say "I love you" for the first time in Light of Day. They break up for the first time a few episodes later. They finally tell each other they still love one another in The Show. After Nick comes to school and then her house with a gun, Mariana's relationship with him effectively ends, and she and Mat get back together in Trust. The two have sex for the first time together in Dream a Little Dream. They break up again for the final time in Cruel and Unusual.
Main article: Nariana
Nick is the first guy Mariana started a relationship after dating Mat. At first, she thought he is immature, after witnessing his behavior with Jesus in her house and after he participated in a car race while she was in the car. However, after he increased his EQ and apologized, they reconciled and began to date. During their relationship, Nick repeatedly pulls out the big stops for her. Their relationship was always complicated due to Mariana's feelings for Mat, and this escalated until one day, he brought a gun to school. Mariana and Nick talk at school and she explains that she was only saying goodbye to Mat, but Nick doesn't believe her. Nick, on the loose with a gun, breaks into Mariana's house and sneaks up on Mariana with the gun. Nick is ultimately arrested. Under the belief that they are still together, Nick reaches out to Mariana by calling and texting her while he's in a mental facility. Mariana allows him to continue believing this, even though she has begun dating Mat again. Nick had insisted that Mariana was the only thing keeping him alive. Mariana was afraid of what he'd do if she ended things with him. In Collateral Damage, Nick says he understands they aren't together anymore and apologizes for how he's made her feel.
Mariana became interested in Logan when he moved next door to her and instantly tried to win him over by acting as if she had the same interests as him. They became friends, but Mariana always wanted to be more than that. When she learned that Logan has a girlfriend she backed off and started helping him to win over his girlfriend when they were fighting. Mariana's relationship with Logan became increasingly awkward, especially after his girlfriend claimed that she liked him which forced Mariana to pretend she was in a relationship. Logan's mother, Tess, even threatened Mariana to keep her away from her son. They eventually dated for a while, however, Mariana decided that she wasn't ready to be in a committed relationship, and wanted to date other people as well as Logan.
Notes and Trivia
- Mariana pierced her nose herself in The Morning After. However, she takes her stud piercing off before Stef and Lena's wedding in I Do and hasn't been seen wearing it since.
- Mariana meets Ana, her birth mother, for the first time in 10 years in Pilot. She had been secretly talking to Ana online for some time before this, deeply wanting to know her birth mother. Their relationship was strained for a long time due to Ana's drug addiction, but improved following Ana's rehabilitation.
- In Vigil, it is shown that Jesus and Mariana were adopted July 1, 2006, by Stef and Lena.
- She dyes her hair blonde in Things Unknown, but soon returns to her natural hair color in Someone's Little Sister.
- In The Honeymoon, Lena states that everyone now has the same last name. In Things Unknown, Mariana's name is shown as "Mariana Adams Foster" on the school dance team roster.
- Mariana was on Anchor Beach's original dance team before creating her separate team due to differences with the dance team captain, Kaitlyn.
- Mariana can be very sensitive to peer pressure or a lack of social acceptance. Such examples are when she pierced her nose to fit in with Garrett's crowd and dyed her hair blonde to fit in with her dance team.
- She wears glasses occasionally while at home, but contacts while in public and work.
- It is implied that Mariana has abandonment issues, most likely due to her biological mother Ana leaving her and Jesus when they were kids. She was shown to react to the idea of Jesus or Callie leaving the Fosters house very badly.
- Mariana is, at least for a majority of the series, a vegetarian due to knowing about the abuse animals endure while becoming an edible food. She temporarily breaks this diet by eating fish in Mother Nature, though she says it is strictly because she is in "survival mode".
- Mariana loses her virginity to Wyatt in the season three premiere Wreckage.
- She originally intended to lose her virginity to her then-boyfriend, Mat, so that he would "remember" her while on his three-week band tour. However, he turned her down and she ran into Wyatt, who she began drinking with before initiating a hookup. This is a choice Mariana deeply regretted since Wyatt was Callie's ex-boyfriend.
- Her biological grandmother Elena has stated that Mariana looks a lot like how Ana did as a teenager before the latter started using drugs.
- Characters have twice expressed fear of Mariana, both times to Brandon, and both times in response to a suggestion of Brandon's. Mat expresses having a healthy fear of her in If You Only Knew when discussing the idea of prohibiting her from attending the "pharm" party. When Brandon asks Callie to wake up a sleeping Mariana in The Show, Callie refers to the act as "unleashing the beast," and that they should be afraid.
- In Not That Kind of Girl, it's revealed that Mariana had to take her written driver's test twice. She claims the answers seemed too obvious, so she thought they were trying to trick her.
- Mariana created a "fight club" at Speckulate to help her fellow female co-workers deal with the sexism in their workplace.
- She had her first threesome in "Swipe Right" with Eli and his girlfriend.
|Mariana Adams Foster has a photo gallery.|
- Click here to see Mariana's quotations.
Characters (The Fosters)
|Main||Stef Adams Foster • Lena Adams Foster • Brandon Foster • Callie Adams Foster • Mariana Adams Foster • Jude Adams Foster • Jesus Adams Foster • Mike Foster|
|Recurring||AJ Hensdale • Emma Kurtzman • Ana Gutierrez Foster • Connor Stevens • Daphne Keene • Aiden • Becka • Carmen • Cole • Cortney Strathmore • Declan Rivers • Gabriel Duncroft • Grace • Hayley Heinz • Jack Downey • Jill Quinn • Kelsey • Kiara • Lexi Rivera • Logan Bayfield • Lou Chan • Mat Tan • Monte Porter • Mr. Timothy • Nick Stratos • Noah Walker • Poppy Sinfuego • Rafael • Rita Hendricks • Robert Quinn • Sophia Quinn • Talya Banks • Taylor • Tess Bayfield • Vico Cerar • Wyatt Casey • Ximena Sinfuego • Zac Rogers|
|Minor||Amanda Rogers • Captain Roberts • Chase Dillon • Dana Adams • Daria • Devonee • Donald Jacob • Eliza Foster • Ernesto Rivera • Evan • Frank Cooper • Gabi • Joe Gray • Karina Sánchez • Kat • Kyle Snow • Liam Olmstead • Nathan Adams • Olivia • Sarah • Sharon Elkin • Sonya Rivera|
Characters (Good Trouble)
|Main||Callie Adams Foster • Mariana Adams Foster • Malika Williams • Alice Kwan • Gael Martinez • Curtis Wilson • Davia Moss • Dennis|
|Recurring||Alex Wood • Angela Miller • Benjamin • Bryan • Casey Pierce • Dom Williams • Evan Speck • Jamie Hunter • Jeff • Joey Riverton • Josh Mandela • Kelly • Meera Mattei • Raj Patil • Rebecca • Sam Higgins • Sandra Thompson • Sumi • Jazmin Martinez • Isaac Hall • Marcus • Lisa • Cary Plack • Gwen Tuckerman • Kendra Zahir • Elijah Adrieux|
|Minor||Diana • Kate Nguyen • Libby Wilson • Tate Wilson • Trea Kwan • Rafael Martinez • Yari Clarke • Tolu • Bonnie Moss|