|“||My whole life I've had trouble connecting people. When I was kid they called it Asperger's now they just say I'm on the spectrum. I don't always pick up social cues, humor, why people like to talk on the phone. Things of that nature. I'm not even sure there is someone out there for me.||”|
Evan is a technological genius with obsessive-compulsive disorder and social anxiety. He is the CEO and founder of the startup tech company, Speckulate.
Evan had a complex childhood. He struggled with social anxiety, germaphobia, and being on the Autism spectrum. He was always different from other children his age. On the first day of Kindergarten, he stood by the door out of fear that someone would try to talk to him and he wouldn't be able to leave. Another occasion was when he had a crush on a girl. She was walking his way when he became incapacitated by fear and threw himself down a garbage chute to avoid her. He ended up in a dumpster outside, which aggravated his germophobia.
In or around 2014, Evan founded a tech start-up company that he named after himself and called Speckulate.
- "I know that sounds silly it's just... at work I have to tolerate so many things that are out of my control. Things that cause anxiety and actual physical pain, so at home, I need order, so I can have one place in this world where I feel safe. Like how I feel when I'm with you when you're not moving all of my stuff around."
- —Evan explains his routine to Mariana
Evan is a brilliant intellectual with a coder brain, who is inventive and enjoys creating and designing apps. He is a deep thinker which causes him to be lost in thought, and his mind drifts from place to place especially while Mariana was talking to him. He seems to have an odd memory, as he can't remember names unless he relates them to something else that he already knows about.
He suffers from crippling social anxiety, a condition that he's had his entire life. This causes him to be unsure of how to act, an issue that he confides in Mariana about. Evan doesn't seem to be sexist as he even asks Angela about Mariana's app idea, and doesn't overlook her like many others in the company do. He uses magnetic bullets that help him concentrate and focus. Evan has a good heart with a positive outlook on life, with a sense of humor that is often shadowed by his awkward persona. He also fails to comprehend social cues, especially sarcasm or when others are uncomfortable. He tries to refrain himself from lashing out at others who disrupt his day-to-day routines out of politeness or care for them.
Tall and built, Evan has well-groomed and trimmed blonde hair with a neatly kept beard. He wears relaxed casual clothing that always looks perfect and well put together. He often fidgets with things such as magnetic bullets or his hands while speaking to someone.
In Capoeira, the day after his hookup with Mariana, Evan attends a staff meeting in which Mariana is late for. She is conflicted over Raj and Evan. She receives two texts, one from Raj and one from Evan, both asking to talk. The moments after she and Evan had sex were awkward, and recalling the events causes her to run out of the meeting while Evan watches concerned. He meets Mariana in his office, with her admitting that he's her boss and dating is a bad idea. But she also knows that their feelings won't go away, to which he remarks that the worst ideas can lead to the best ones. He rambles about bologna for a minute until she stops him, staying that no one can know about their relationship. They decide to be in a secret relationship.
In Arraignment Day, Mariana hurries into the work elevator where she joins Evan. He is impressed by the work on her activism app and wants to celebrate with the team for the success. They make plans to meet trying to remain discreet in the presence of an employee who is in the elevator. Mariana is informed by her team that their app is being used by white supremacist's, and though the team wants to tell Evan, Mariana thinks they can handle it alone as he might shut down their app if they tell him. Things spiral out of control and she has to tell Evan the truth.
Mariana enters Evan’s office to see a bucket of roses he was planning to bring her. He asks if that was okay which she says it’s very okay. He asks about the comedy show but she tells him the truth about the app needing to be shut down. Evan tells Mariana they can’t shut down the app as while they created the product they aren’t responsible for what people say. They aren’t political so it isn’t their job to censor anyone. She is worried about bad publicity, but he explains that they are about to release a new media app and can’t shut down act=ivism without guaranteeing bad publicity. They can’t be seen as catering to either side. Mariana doesn’t agree with giving the bigots an online presence but Evan is thinking about business as his hundreds of employees have families they need to provide for. She understands that it’s his choice, but sadly tells him that she can't work for the company any longer if they won't do the right thing. He doesn't want to lose her but she thinks this is the right thing to do. He asks what her leaving the company means for their personal relationship, but she admits to not knowing.
- Mariana Adams Foster - (Mariana and Evan) They first met when Mariana was hired at Evan's company, Speckulate. He took an interest in her from a professional point of view, though they shared a mutual interest in one another. Things progressed into a friendship with her helping him to understand dating and modern day slang. He confided in her about his personal struggles with Asperger's syndrome and how it effects his daily life. Their attraction to one another grew until they had sex, which Mariana instigated. However, her relationship with Raj Patil left her feeling conflicted over who to choose. She ultimately decided to be with Evan, though they agreed on a secret relationship for the betterment of the company and their careers. Their relationship was short-lived when Evan refused to shut down Mariana's app, despite it being taken over by white supremacist's. She understood that he couldn't risk Speckulate becoming political one way or another, as he has hundreds of employees and families to think about, but chose to quit as a form of protest. They later rekindled their relationship following his understanding of why she quit and doing something to better the company after the protest.
Notes and Trivia
- Evan's company, Speckulate, stemmed from his last name.
- He uses magnetic bullets to calm his nerves and help him focus on what is going on around him.
- Evan doesn't have many friends as most of his employees are nervous around him while other people avoid interacting with him. He also avoids interacting with others due to having severe social anxiety.
- Evan seems to have taken a liking to Mariana, as he has gone out of his way to communicate with her on more than one occasion. Angela and Josh both agree that Evan's interest in Mariana is more than professional. Their relationship ultimately became physical in the Season 2 finale.
- He is germophobic.
- Evan has an online shopping assistant named Shiela and multiple closets.
- He has asperger's syndrome.
Characters (Good Trouble)
|Main||Callie Adams Foster • Mariana Adams Foster • Malika Williams • Alice Kwan • Gael Martinez • Curtis Wilson • Davia Moss • Dennis Cooper • Jamie Hunter|
|Major||Alex Wood • Andre Johnson • Angela Miller • Benjamin • Bryan • Casey Pierce • Claire Badgley • Dom Williams • Dyonte • Elijah Adrieux • Evan Speck • Yuri Ellwin • Gina Spero • Isaac Hall • Isabella • Joey Riverton • Joseph Turner • Josh Mandela • Kathleen Gale • Kelly • Kendra Zahir • Lindsay Brady • Marcus • Matt • Melina Abdullah • Nicolette Baptiste • Patrisse Cullors • Rachel Boyle • Raj Patil • Rebecca • Ruby • Sam Higgins • Sandra Thompson • Sumi • Teresa • Tony Britton|
|Minor||Bonnie Moss • Cary Plack • Diana • Gwen Tuckerman • Jazmin Martinez • Jeff Maxwell • Jennifer Cooper • Kate Nguyen • Libby Wilson • Margaret Cho • Meera Mattei • Rafael Martinez • Rowan • Tate Wilson • Tolu Eze • Trea Kwan • Yari Clarke|