|“||Davia, I appreciate everything you are trying to do, but you are suffocating me! You can't save me!||”|
— Dennis to Davia in "Broken Arted"
Dennis is the oldest tenant at The Coterie with a mild case of arrested development, and an aspiring musician. He has lived at The Coterie for two years and is considered to be a familiar loner by the other residents. He worked to overcome his painful past without the help of his fellow Coterie members, which eventually put his mental health in jeopardy.
Dennis once had a successful corporate job and was happily married, living in a large house with his wife, Jennifer. They eventually had a son, whom they named Jacob. Dennis was always working or away on business, which soon led him to stray in his marriage and have an affair. Dennis was also a somewhat absentee figure in Jacob's life due to his work.
Jacob was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer. Dennis and Jennifer tried everything to help their son, but Jacob passed away at the age of six after battling with cancer for many years.
After his son's death, Dennis was unable to cope with the traumatic loss and spiraled into depression. His marriage eventually fell apart, especially after Dennis came clean to Jennifer about his affair. Jennifer divorced him soon after, and Dennis decided to quit his job and focus on music.
He moved into The Coterie soon after, where Dennis struck up a reputation of being a semi-creepy older man with dreams of becoming a rockstar. With each day that passed by, Dennis' reputation as a closed-off loner became true, and he was well-known for the cycle of women he brought through The Coterie doors.
Dennis has an athletic yet slim build, with a defined body. He has long blonde hair that is often swept back, and trimmed facial hair. He dresses in relaxed, loose, multi-colored clothing.
In Broken Arted, At the end of the night, a frantic Jennifer arrived at The Coterie searching for Dennis. She played a cryptic voicemail on Jennifer's phone that Davia recognizes as a goodbye message. She pieces together the night that he spent time with everyone, and realizes it was his way of saying goodbye to those he cares about. In the message, he talks about he wanted to die instead of his son.
In Vitamin C, Davia spent the next several days looking for Dennis, who was still missing. She checked every hospital and prison within a radius of The Coterie but came up empty-handed. Dennis later called her and informed her that he admitted himself to a mental institution for psychiatric care.
In Capoeira, Dennis and Davia have sex then plan to have their first official date later that day. That afternoon, Gael shows Davia the mural he made over Jacob’s mural, though he feels conflicted if he did the right thing as now he can’t reach Dennis. She tells him not to worry but when she gets back to her apartment she calls Dennis worriedly, though he doesn't answer. That night, Davia gets a call from Dennis who is in Malibu Canyon to get away from the mural and his negative feelings. He promises that he isn’t going to hurt himself but also can’t come back to the Coterie until he finds a way through his grief. He can’t be the man for Davia until he can do that. She understands but makes him promise not to disappear and to keep in contact with her. He promises and they say I love you before she closes her computer.
- Jacob Cooper - Jacob was Dennis' only child who died from a rare form of cancer.
- Jennifer Cooper - Jennifer and Dennis were married for several years. They had one child together, a son named Jacob. They were happy, even though Dennis was away on business and working a lot. She explained their relationship as, "distant". She called him a "bad husband and father". Jacob was diagnosed with a rare form of cancer, and after a long battle, Jacob passed away. It was after his death that Jennifer and Dennis' marriage truly began to crumble. Dennis lost his job and spiraled. They separated and Dennis moved into The Coterie while their divorce was being finalized. After it was finalized, Dennis initially didn't want any of the money from their shared assets, despite her mild insistence. When he decided he did want half of the money, she told him to talk to her lawyer. During his depressive spiral, he reached out to her and left a lengthy message on her machine apologizing for his past behavior. Despite their rocky past, Jennifer was worried about him and went to The Coterie in the hopes of finding him. When she didn't, she was consumed with worry for his safety. After Dennis was discharged from the hospital her let her know he was safe but has minimal contact with her now.
- Davia Moss - Dennis and Davia are residents at The Coterie. Their relationship was initially rocky, with Davia often making snarky remarks about his sex life and life in general. After being forced to get to know one another, they became friends. After Dennis's hospitalization, their friendship advanced to a different level. Davia's concern and appreciation for Dennis have increased, with Dennis now able to see past the walls Davia puts up to protect herself. They also support one another through the obstacles life throws at them.
So I moved in here where everyone is too young to have a kid and too self-involved to ask what my story is. Look, I know I'm not going to be a rockstar, I just need something that can fill me up.
- Dennis to Stef Foster
Dennis: You wanna know what I told him after I hit him? I told him that you're trying to move on. I told him that you're trying to learn how to love yourself, respect yourself. Believe that you're worthy of love, fully and exclusively, Davia. Because you are! I told him that if he can't be that person if he can't give you everything that you need then he should leave. Which he did.
Davia: What do you know about love and self-respect? You hate yourself, Dennis. How about, I start treating myself with respect when you do?
- Dennis and Davia in "Re-Birthday"
Notes and Trivia
- He believes that cell phones are an addiction, just like drugs, alcohol, and sex.
- Dennis teaches an improv class in the lounge of The Coterie.
- Dennis was once married, but he and Jennifer divorced after their son, Jacob's death.
- He has lived at The Coterie for two years before anyone knew his story or what he did for a living.
- Dennis sings a duet with Davia in "Imposter", which is also the first time he sings in the series.
- He is good at baking, which is seen when he helps Mariana bake coconut squares.
- He knew all of Davia's "drivia" questions.
- At the end of "Broken Arted", Dennis leaves a cryptic voicemail on Jennifer's phone that Davia recognizes as a goodbye message. In the message, he talks about wanting to die.
- It's eventually revealed in "Vitamin C" that while Dennis thought about dying, he ultimately chose to check himself in at a psychiatric hospital for treatment after thinking about how hard Jacob fought when diagnosed with cancer.
- Dennis built a mural in his room of Jacob, which he later allowed Gael to tear down and turn into a computer saver.
|Dennis Cooper has a photo gallery.|
Characters (Good Trouble)
|Main||Callie Adams Foster • Mariana Adams Foster • Malika Williams • Alice Kwan • Gael Martinez • Curtis Wilson • Davia Moss • Dennis Cooper • Jamie Hunter|
|Major||Alex Wood • Andre Johnson • Angela Miller • Benjamin • Bryan • Casey Pierce • Claire Badgley • Dom Williams • Dyonte • Elijah Adrieux • Evan Speck • Yuri Ellwin • Gina Spero • Isaac Hall • Isabella • Joey Riverton • Joseph Turner • Josh Mandela • Kathleen Gale • Kelly • Kendra Zahir • Lindsay Brady • Marcus • Matt • Melina Abdullah • Nicolette Baptiste • Patrisse Cullors • Rachel Boyle • Raj Patil • Rebecca • Ruby • Sam Higgins • Sandra Thompson • Sumi • Teresa • Tony Britton|
|Minor||Bonnie Moss • Cary Plack • Diana • Gwen Tuckerman • Jazmin Martinez • Jeff Maxwell • Jennifer Cooper • Kate Nguyen • Libby Wilson • Margaret Cho • Meera Mattei • Rafael Martinez • Rowan • Tate Wilson • Tolu Eze • Trea Kwan • Yari Clarke|