- "We can't quit. We're Adams Fosters. We don't give up. We don't give in. We fight. And we have each other, we're not alone."
- —Callie to Mariana
The episode was written by Joanna Johnson, Peter Paige, and Bradley Bredeweg. It was both directed and executive produced by Jon M. Chu.
We pick up where “The Fosters” ended, 5 years in the future, with sisters Callie & Mariana graduating college and moving to downtown Los Angeles. Living with a group of friends in a community style living space, Callie and Mariana navigate the beginning of their careers — Callie clerking for a conservative judge and Mariana in the male-dominated tech space. The sisters and best friends will navigate love, sex, and the complicated relationships that come with living in a new city in your 20s.
- Maia Mitchell as Callie Adams Foster
- Cierra Ramirez as Mariana Adams Foster
- Zuri Adele as Malika Williams
- Sherry Cola as Alice Kwan
- Tommy Martinez as Gael Martinez
- Roger Bart as Judge Curtis Wilson
- Josh Pence as Dennis
- Emma Hunton as Davia Moss
- Molly McCook as Rebecca
- Ken Kirby as Benjamin
- Dhruv Uday Singh as Raj Patil
- Dustin Ingram as Alex Wood
- Max Cutler as Sam Higgins
- Michael Galante as Bryan
- TJ Linnard as Evan Speck
- Heather Mazur as Angela Miller (flashback only)
- Chloe Wepper as Casey Pierce
- Barbara Eve Harris as Barbara
- Nicki Micheaux as Sandra Thompson
- Anastasia Leddick as Kelly
- Drew Fonteiro as Tony
- Peter Daut as Reporter
- Grasie Mercedes as Girl
- Paige Smith as Cashier
Notes and Trivia
- A few weeks have passed since The Fosters series finale, "Where the Heart Is".
- The title of the episode, "DTLA" is a reference to the sisters moving to downtown Los Angeles.
- To celebrate the new year, Freeform released the first episode of Good Trouble for streaming on Freeform, Hulu, and Xfinity: On Demand.
- Mariana has a job at a tech startup, Speckulate, as a software engineer and has graduated from MIT. While in school, she was the #1 bear gaming champion.
- Callie has graduated magna cum laude from UCSD with a law degree and is a clerk for a conservative federal judge.
- The public name listed for "The Coterie" is The Palace Theater. It is commune housing, something that Mariana failed to inform Callie of before they moved in.
- Callie initially doesn't want to live at The Coterie while Mariana does.
- Callie and Mariana's U-Haul was broken into and all of their boxes were stolen. However, everyone in The Coterie donated furniture to them.
- Gael and Callie smoked marijuana together, which scared Callie after she discovered that she will be submitted to random drug testings as a clerk.
- Stef and Lena are mentioned but not heard, when they call the sisters to see how their days are going. They are later mentioned at the dinner table when Callie and Mariana mention that their moms are lesbian.
- Every resident at The Coterie picks an activity for community service.
- The events of "Where the Heart Is" are mentioned.
- Mariana breaks down at work and calls Callie, who goes over to Speckulate to give her sister a pep talk.
- Callie is granted the right to clerk the Jamal Thompson case.
Behind the Scenes
- ↑ https://deadline.com/2018/10/good-trouble-premiere-date-sneak-peek-fosters-spinoff-freeform-1202487964/
- ↑ https://www.spoilertv.com/2018/05/upcoming-episode-titles-various-shows_24.html
- ↑ https://www.spoilertv.com/2018/12/freeforms-january-2019-programming.html
- ↑ http://www.justjaredjr.com/2018/10/17/cierra-ramirez-says-that-mariana-will-struggle-with-finding-her-place-on-good-trouble/